Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Secretaries & Pumpkins

Not much has been going on with Adam and I lately. We both have been working hard at our jobs and living life.
I had a great opportunity to go see a lecture at the NYU Law school on September 25th. The Foreign Secretary of the UK, David Miliband spoke on what he sees as the challenges facing the new elected president. It is pretty intimidating sitting in a small room with law students and professors but it was such an interesting topic to be discussed by a Foreign Government Official. You can read more about it on the link I have above.




Now that I have started working for a Foreign Government it has opened my eyes to the way America is seen by other countries. Not just unfriendly countries but countries that are meant to be our allies and friends. As anyone in my family knows from our heated debates over this I feel very strongly about the way we are perceived by other countries and how we can correct the misjudgments that are made. But the main point that I took from listening to Mr. Miliband's speech is that it will be important for the next president to work together for the greater good WITH other countries. That America will only isolate itself more by not joining the international community and taking the proper steps in making decisions regarding other countries. I generally agree with this. I may be more liberal in my thinking because my husband is from a foreign country and I will most likely live outside the country in my lifetime. I found the words of David Miliband very insightful from a Foreign Secretary. I definitely recommend watching the meeting if you have time.





We also did a fun thing last weekend. We went to a pumpkin & Apple picking farm. But really was disappointed. We went to one a few years ago that was great. But this one was very commercialized. They didn't really let you pick your own pumpkin they just laid them out for you pick. Oh well it was a fun day driving in the countryside. Getting some fresh air!


2 comments:

Allison said...

I'm really jealous of your job. That is so great that you get to go do and learn all of those interesting things. And seriously, I don't know why anyone would want to be the next President!

Kristi said...

You are having some amazing experiences most of us can't even imagine. Take every moment of it in and learn all you can. That really is awesome!!!