Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sticker SHOCK


New York City has put into effect a new law that all chain resturants have to post calorie counts next to items on their menus. When I first heard about this I thought "what a waste of money to change all their signs and menus. Nobody will even care". But as the change took effect I have noticed one change in my own habits. Take your average lunch. After eating left overs all week I decide on a Friday to go get my favorite Taco Bell Chicken Quesadilla. MMMMM..... I decide it is worth the money to spend one day a week. I get over my guilt of spending money on something so small but so tasty! I get to Taco Bell and go to order and to my SHOCK I see that one chicken quesadilla at Taco Bell is 520 calories!! One tortilla with chicken, cheese, and yummy sauce. Now not only do I have to get over the guilt of spending money I have to get over the guilt of adding 520 calories to my day for something so small. Now when I want to run and get something yummy I have to talk myself into it. So it seems that the program is working. At least on me. I have lost 10 lbs. since moving back to New York. I don't think it is only this reason, I do 100x more walking then before but this can only help. It is nice to see that the responsibility is being put back onto people to own their choices and decisions instead of blaming companies like McDonald's or Taco Bell. I have a long road to being healthy but this is a good help for my instant gratification syndrome!!

3 comments:

Allison said...

Yikes! So much for fat free stuff. I hate when we have to be responsible for our decisions instead of pleading ignorance.

Katie said...

I purposely don't look at the nutrition facts on things I really like to eat because of the guilt--maybe if I did my clothes would fit better and I wouldn't get winded chasing Kiara. Congratulations on losing 10 pounds, that's a lot.

Anonymous said...

How is that fat free if it has 390 Cal. Oh, I guess that KFC we had today and over a half gallon of Shwans raspberry rumble ice cream, wasn't a healthy decision.