Sunday, March 28, 2010

Weekend Stats

Happy Spring everyone....
Spring has sprung here in DC.  I have the allergies to prove it.  The weather has been great in between a few rain showers.  This weekend was fantastic.  I got a new cookbook at the library and found a surprising recipe that I HAD to try out.  It was for yogurt.  Yep folks that's right yogurt.  Now this was a mystery to me.  I had no clue what was in yogurt or how it was made.  But being married to a mediterranean we spend a lot of money on the (to me) disgusting curdled milk.  So I thought why not give it a go.  If I can make a big batch of yogurt for Adam at a low price why not.  So I began......  1/2 gallon of milk and 1/2 cup of store bought yogurt plus a few other ingredients.  Total time to make over 12 hours!!  Yes you read that right 12 HOURS!!!!  Not a lot of work except for every 4 hours adding heat or taking it off heat or draining.  So this morning I wake up hoping for a large batch of yogurt that my husband can swoon over and what did I get.....

less than 1 cup of disgusting milk that now looks like cottage cheese/cream cheese yogurt.  Why did I ever think that would work?  Oh well lesson learned...  Pay the money and save the time.   But to make up for it I made an awesome Garlic and Onion Roast for dinner tonight and it was DEEEElicious!! 

Other stats for this weekend... One hike for Emily and Adam, Three trips to 7-eleven to return a redbox, and Four wonderful Hallmark movies. 

5 comments:

Anthony and Kristie said...

That's pretty funny you had use yogurt to make yogurt:)

Sharon Beck said...

I've got an easy recipe for yogurt and all you use is a glass qt. nar and a heating pad--and it just takes over night. Easy! Or you can put it in a dehydrater.

Sharon Beck said...

Oops! That's jar not "nar". LOL

Allison said...

My mom used to make yogurt and put it in mason jars and I made the mistake of taking a big spoonful of mayo instead, disgusting! I love the picture of Emily, so cute.

Kristin Burke Sevinc said...

haha... I laughed as well that I had to put Yogurt in with yogurt. Has to do with the live active cultures...
Oh Sharon def pass that recipe along would like to try out a proven recipe!!